Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I Call BS

No way. Absolutely no freaking way.

Actually, sort of, yes, but also no.

See, I totally buy that the calorie count on the wall isn't going to make me stop wanting the burger but like the girl says at the end of the Post piece, it makes me realize I don't always need those fries and can totally live without them.

Nutrition isn't about one meal or one part of a meal or one day or even a week. Its about the overall choices you make. For example, this weekend my choices were, um, questionable. Today, I'm working harder, um, minus the chai I just purchased.

I mean, I'm not perfect, sheesh.

2 comments:

Lizzy said...

It's probably because these folks are in low-income areas. My org does research in this area and it appears that people in low-income areas also do not have the same education or comprehension skills as you do. That translates to not knowing how many calories you need for the day and therfore not comprehending that a 1,500 burger is not a good idea.

Also, since they are fast-food restaurants and they are in low-income areas, a lot of the folks don't have time or the knowledge on how to make something at home that is healthier. The dollar menu gives their audience a way to feed their family and keep them full.

FeedYourSoulMoreNYourFaceLess said...

I think thats true in some cases. There are absolutely difficulties with nutrition relating to socioeconomic issues.

I don't think it means we should stop promoting awareness. I'm firmly in the camp of citizens right to know calorie content.